Saturday, August 11, 2012

Seeded Watermelon

I have had a hard time finding seeded watermelon.  And that isn't the only fruit or vegtable that I have a hard time finding, oranges, cucumber, etc.  See, the Torah says in Gen 1:29, "And Elohim said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."  That means that the fruit should have seed, which means there is life inside.  If there is no seed there is no life.  We are just eating dead food.  I don't want to eat dead food.  So, the other day my daughter and I took a roadtrip for the day and took some back roads and came across a roadside farmer's market.  And they had seeded watermelon.  Among other great goodies.  I got it for $5.oo.  Woo Hoo!  We had the best time that day. 
So to share with you a recipe I came across from Andrea Beaman.  I changed the recipe a little.  You can view the original here.  It is so good!  Words cannot describe.  You wouldn't think this would be good but the contrast of sweet of the watermelon and the saltness of the israeli feta.  Oh my! 

Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad

  • 2 cups watermelon, cubed
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, diced
  • 2 ounces Israeli feta cheese, cubed
  • 3-4 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. fresh oregano
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

  • Put watermelon into a sieve and let it drain some of it’s liquid. Discard the liquid. Put watermelon, cucumber, feta and olives into a bowl. Whisk olive oil, vinegar, oregano and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Toss with Watermelon Salad and serve.

    Oh, please use fresh oregano it is so much better for you than dried.  And eat the seeds!!!  Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment